Hosted Virtually by Cal Poly: Jan 16-18, 2020 (date/times TBD)
Please fill out the Rally Survey. We have been developing Rally programming all Summer and would like to get your feedback in its fine tuning.
What is a Student Rally?
The Student Rally is a integral part of many other ASABE section and regions. It is an enriching experience and provides students with opportunities to:
- Learn more about Agricultural and Biological Engineering, what it means to be an Ag and Bio Engineer, and the diversity of disciplines and career opportunities;
- Network with other students as well as with members in different stages of their careers;
- Get more active in ASABE at the chapter, section, regional, and national levels, and take on positions of leadership;
- See and experience other schools; and
- Visit local agricultural and biological museums, research laboratories and facilities, companies, and other interesting sites.
The hope is that adopting an annual Student Rally will help our Section will demonstrate the value of Society membership to student and non-student members alike, help with membership retention and growth, cultivate future leaders, and promote a stronger more active Section in general.
How did this idea come about?
The Student Rally has been more than a year in the works. After applying for Initiative Funding to The ASABE Foundation, our Section was awarded $30,000 over 2 years to help bring the Rally to fruition. For more information, please read the ASABE CANV Section’s Initiative Fund Proposal and Progress Report to ASABE Foundation Board of Trustees.
PAST: 2020 Inaugural ASABE CANV Student Rally
Hosted by UC Davis from January 17-20th, 2020
Photo: 2020 Rally Attendees Post Student Design Competition @ the Joe A. Heidrick Western Center for Agricultural Equipment (WCAE)
Student Rally Program and Information:
- Student Rally Program with Bios and Maps
- Key Contacts and Addresses
- Welcome letter from UC Davis Bio & Agricultural Engineering Department, Distinguished Professor and Chair, Dr. Bryan Jenkins
- Rally Bylaws (Adopted 1-19-2020)
- Rally Officers: description, 2020 interim team, 2021 elected team
- Business Meeting Minutes
- Sat, 1/18/2020 (to be posted)
- Sun, 1/19/2020 (to be posted)
- Restaurant Recommendations in Davis, CA
- Benefits of ASABE Membership
- Sponsors List and Information
This event would not have been possible without the support of our sponsors. Please read more about them on the organizational links below:
What did students do at the Rally?
Students had the opportunity to network with other student and professional ASABE members; participate in fun and valuable activities such as academic and industry panels, tours of historic California Ag landmarks, an engineering design competition, and several Business Meetings; and get involved in ASABE leadership at the section level.
Optional Day (Friday, Jan 17th): Friday activities were optional, attendance was highly encouraged, but not required. Activities included tours of the UC READ Facility, the RMI Winery/Brewer, Bowling/Pizza, and snacky hour.
Day 1 (Sat, Jan 18th): UC Davis Campus and Bio & Agricultural Engineering Department tours, Lunch, Keynote Speech, Order of the Engineer induction (optional), Trivia, Engineering Design Competition, Dinner, Career Panel, and Business Meeting.
Day 2 (Sun, Jan 19th): Travel to Sacramento, CA to tour California Safe Soils. Then we were off to Lodi, CA for lunch, tour of Ag Industrial Manufacturing, exploring the San Joaquin Valley Museum and Micke Grove Park, and finally Dinner followed by Business Meeting.
Day 3 (Mon, Jan 20th): Travel to Vacaville, CA to the Solano Valley Irrigation District Office for technical talks by representatives from SVID, USDA NRCS, Banks Integration, and Genentech, followed by closing statements and lunch.